What phone number do I call to report a water line break?

435-574-2295. this is the number to the DVWW office which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  If you get a recording Lisa is answering another call, leave a message including your name, phone number, and the address of the break.  Lisa will dispatch the appropriate Water Services crew.

You may also call:
Trent Bowler – 435-632-2357
Jim Clonts – 435-669-2444


What number do I call if I have a question on my water bill?

You may call 435-574-2295 to speak with Lisa Chauvin


Where does my drinking water come from?

Our aquifer is above Dammeron Valley and above the Navajo aquifer (St. George).  Great quality water comes from the runoff from the Pine Valley Mts.


My water comes out of the faucet cloudy and then clears up why is that?

The small bubbles in the water that make it look cloudy or milky are from air in the water lines.  This sometimes happens when a line is broken and repaired or when a water line is first connected to the system.  We recommend going outside and turning on a hose and watering the lawn or a tree.  This will push the air out of the lines and clean the lines of sediment.  The sediment you will see is not from an outside source but rather the natural sediment that builds up in the lines over the years.


How do I know if I have a leak?

This is a great question; leaks often go undetected resulting in high water bills and waste of a valuable resource.  First turn off all the water in and out of the home, this includes the automatic ice maker.  Watch the water meter, often located near the property line.  If the meter is turning, you have a leak.


What do I do if I have a leak?

Check the landscape systems.  Is there a place in the lawn that is exceptionally wet or boggy?  Do you see any heads leaking when the system is turned off?


Check the toilets.  Leaking toilets can waste as much as 100 gallons a day.  Add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank.  Wait about 15 minutes, without flushing the toilet.  If the food coloring shows up the tank, the toilet is leaking.  Often toilets leak from a malfunctioning flapper.  This is something someone comfortable with do-it yourself repairs often can take care of.  A properly licensed and bonded plumber may need to be contacted for additional assistance.


Check the faucets.  If they are dripping washers may need to be replaced.


If you are unable to locate the source of the leak, a properly licensed and bonded plumber or landscape contractor may be needed.


What is the purpose of the Backflow program?

The backflow program was established to meet State water quality regulations and to prevent the possible contamination of the culinary water when water pressure before the meter drops lower than the pressure after the meter, allowing water to flow back into the culinary system.  This is of particular concern with respect to insecticides applied via an attachment to hose or a pesticide tank that is filled from a spigot.  A properly installed backflow device will prevent containments from flowing back into the culinary system.  For more information the Backflow program, click http://www.drinkingwater.utah.gov/ or call 801-536-4200.


What are some methods of emergency disinfection?

Boiling:  Vigorous boiling for one minute will kill any disease-causing microorganisms present in water.  The flat taste of boiled water can be improved by pouring it back and forth from one container to another (called aeration), by allowing it to stand for a few hours, or by adding a small pinch of salt for each quart of water boiled.


Tincture of Iodine:  Common household iodine from the medicine chest or first aid kit may be used to disinfect water.  Add five drops of 2 percent United States Pharmacopoeia (U.S.P.) Tincture of iodine to each quart of clear water.  For cloudy water add ten drops and let the solution stand for at least 30 minutes.